Custom Search

Monday, June 29, 2009

Post Fourteen

Have you ever made assumptions about a deal and taken action based on those assumptions? Chances are you have and in some cases those assumptions may be accurate.  Recently I made some assumptions about an account and lost a big opportunity.

Its not the first time its happened and if I take an honest view of the circumstances, I got lazy.  I knew the owner of this company and quoted a great product at a very competitive price.  I followed up with the owner and found out that our price looked good and that our product not only me but exceeded the specifications.  

One of my competitors drilled further and realized that the General Manager of the company who I didn't know was much more involved with design.  My competitor flipped the specification for the entire design to his product set, brought real value to the customer, and I found out only after the products he sold shipped into the account.  I was simply outworked lost some huge commissions because I didn't dig deep enough.  If your business is like mine in June of 2009, you probably cant afford to lose business either and any loss hurts.  Losing to a competitor who outworked me really pisses me off.  

So, what am I going to do?

First, I am taking a bigger picture approach to the problem.  Assumptions, for me, are based on limited thinking or an arrogant approach that my summary of the circumstances are always right.  I am working with a new prospect at the moment and I am writing out a number of questions that are not yet answered.  I am already coming up with ideas that are forcing me to think differently.  As the years go by, I see this as real limiting factor for me and I need to change it to be the best at what I do.  I like the results I see from writing out unanswered questions and each answer offers more possibilities and creative solutions for success.  

The more I think the same way about everything, and think that I am right or smarter than everyone, the less I learn and the more deals will likely slip away.  Its hard work to analyze a sale, seek outside opinions, and be open to ideas from different people.  Its harder work to make less money and lose!  









No comments:

Post a Comment